Saturday

3rd Annual Portland Trip!

About three years ago my mother, sister, and I started a tradition of traveling to Portland once a year together. We keep it short and sweet to keep everyone in a fresh and happy mood and also so that we don't run out of things to do.


Our first stop was the delicious Pine State Biscuits which if you have been to Portland you probably have been told that its a must to go to. Delicious sausage or mushroom gravy for biscuits. Freshly fried, seasoned chicken bacon egg and cheese sandwiches. Scones with locally made apple butter. Specially Portland drinks made in house.

Our next stop is my favorite tea shop, Townshend's Tea Company. With fresh made Kombucha, apothecary style tea concoctions, and by the bottle service. Have a headache or cramps or any collection of aliments and they have a tea for you.


Continuing our trip is Portland's famous City of Books, Powell's. The first time I walked in here I was sure I would be stuck in the for hours. Floors and more floors of new and used books. Unfortunately, this City does have a place for rent, otherwise I would never leave.

Most people who visit Portland and ask for ice cream recommendations will be sent to Salt & Straw. Delicious and various flavors, but Salt & Straw is almost going to guarantee you a half hour to an hour wait. Since we had been to Salt & Straw several times we checked out another local ice creamery and I think I actually prefer it. Cool Moon Ice Cream is downtown and had such a great collection of flavors. The goat cheese and fig was smooth with a sweet little taste of fig through out. Spicy Thai peanut was the perfect amount of peanut butter ice cream with just a hint of spice. My final decision was the Thai ice tea ice cream which is definitely as good as it sounds.

One of our favorite brewery's we visited this year has to be he Lucky Labrador. It is a large dog themed beer hall/brewery with local hand crafted tap handles. Great beer variety, great services, and (though we were to full to eat) great smelling and sounding food.



Hopworks was amazing. . Yummy food, form pulled pork sandwiches, pizza, and awesome salads. The beer is a must and I found my favorite immediately. It's called "I Am The Jelly Doughnut". A very sour beer (my favorite) which they give you a side of cherry "filling"(syrup) to pour to your own taste. I definitely making the trip if you are going to visit a brewery in Portland.




 Our final land mark before leaving was Voodoo Doughnuts. One of the most iconic foods of Portland which means the line is always several blocks long, morning, noon , and night. We finally found there other location which had a much shorter line. The doughnuts were delicious. I tried the butterfingers, the maple bacon, and the Mexican hot chocolate. The chocolate one was Very spice to me. The bacon was just right on the maple doughnut. My favorite was the butterfingers. Definitely worth a try but I think once is enough because of the lines.

No comments: